Friday, May 15, 2009

SOA-CON-ARB draft musings

I have done 2 drafts of this format so far.

I went 3-0 on the 1st one playing a 4-color Jund + Naya deck. I had a bomb in this draft in the form of a Lavalanche. It was a great strategy, I was going for a pure Naya deck in Shards but was able to pick up a few nice black cards along the way. The picks from Conflux were mostly for mana fixing because the cards were awful. The Reborn pack that I opened had me pulling hairs because it contained Lavalanche, Behemoth Sledge, and almost every good common that you want in a Naya deck. I took the game-breaking rare.
Paolo Go (esper aggro) - W
Nick Ortega (5-color) - W
Osmond Go (4-color aggro) - W

The second draft did not go so well. I tried drafting the old GW archetype to check if it is still a viable strategy and finished a dismal 1-2.
Nick Ortega (unearth) - W
Rey Estacio (grixis) - L
Paolo Go (naya aggro) - L
I think what went wrong here is that I was not able to get enough power on the deck. I also had one too many expensive spells and could not establish a solid board early. I will probably try this again but will have to re-evaluate my card choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment