Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Drafting with JT: SSE #1

2x Shadowmoor, 1x Eventide.
Drafted on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at a Magic Online 4-3-2-2 queue.

I know this is a bit weird, but I had an SSE draft set lying around in my collection and a queue was about to fire up.

Since this is an old format, I will begin with a strategy recap. The best draft deck in SSE are NOT multicolor decks but mono-colored ones. Technically, the decks are still multicolored because you will be using cards with hybrid mana symbols. You can fuel it with a single colored mana base though; hence we like to call them mono.

Generally, the strengths of each color are as follows (strongest to weakest); white, red, blue, black, and green.

Pack 1 pick 1:



My Pick:



White is the best color, and this is the best white card in the pack.

Pack 1 pick 2:



My Pick:



I was torn between this and the Trip Noose, but threats > answers.

Pack 1 pick 3:



My Pick:



Not very exciting, but late game evasion is always nice to have.

Pack 1 pick 4:



My Pick:



A good card that can be played by any deck. I'm surprised it went this far.

Pack 1 pick 5:



My Pick:



Cool combat trick that occasionally becomes a spot removal.

Pack 1 pick 6:



My Pick:



Pack 1 pick 7:



My Pick:



Pack 1 pick 8:



My Pick:



Pack 1 pick 9:



My Pick:



Take note, this is a bad card. I'm just raredrafting here.

Pack 1 pick 10:



My Pick:



Pack 1 pick 11:



My Pick:



Pack 1 pick 12:



My Pick:



Another bad card. If a copy of this is in your deck, it's a either you have a great combo that probably would not work, or you are simply in trouble.

Pack 1 pick 13:



My Pick:



Pack 1 pick 14:



My Pick:



Pack 1 pick 15:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 1:



My Pick:



Wow, there are actually no playable white cards in there.

Pack 2 pick 2:



My Pick:



I could have picked the duo, but white would not trigger the better ability.

Pack 2 pick 3:



My Pick:



Nice

Pack 2 pick 4:



My Pick:



One of the best bears for white decks.

Pack 2 pick 5:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 6:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 7:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 8:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 9:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 10:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 11:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 12:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 13:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 14:



My Pick:



Pack 2 pick 15:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 1:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 2:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 3:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 4:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 5:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 6:



My Pick:



The retrace mechanic is very good in limited because it fixes bad draws (mana flood). With this card, you get more creatures when you mana flood.

Pack 3 pick 7:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 8:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 9:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 10:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 11:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 12:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 13:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 14:



My Pick:



Pack 3 pick 15:



My Pick:



As you can see, this draft format is pretty straightforward. You just need the discipline to stay on-color. I finished 3-0 with my mono-white deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment