Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Pro Tour Journal: Honolulu 2009 #1

I requested for an exit row seat at the check in counter, the lady said sorry because there were none left. A couple of tall guys checked in earlier and took all the exit rows. I bought a cup of coffee before proceding to my gate. I can't help but overhear 2 foreign looking dudes talking about basketball and stuff. I paid no attention. Apparently, I was at the same flight with the Harlem Globetrotters; I first saw them at the pre departure area. I wanted to take a picture with them, but I did not know who they were. All I know is that they are the Harlem Globetrotters (one of them was wearing warmers in Harlem colors), so I guess it was not a good idea. We boarded the plane and I saw that those exit row seats were taken by them. Alright, they probably needed it more than I did. We left Manila at 9:00 May 26 Manila time.

I had a 3 hour stopover at Narita airport in Japan before getting on my connecting flight to Hawaii. 3 hours, such a long time. There was no free internet at Narita too and so I passed the time playing Patapon on my PSP and eating Meiji chocolates. I bought a large box of macadamias which set me back 550 Yen (approx Php 300). The flight was ok except that I got seated next to a drunk guy in the plane. Amoy chico, solid! I was able to still get a little rest and watched "Marley and Me" during the flight. It was all good.

Upon my arrival at Honolulu, a couple of minor annoying mishaps happened. 1st, apparently the flight attendants did not give me some of the forms that were required to enter America. I had to fill up another form when it was my turn to face the immigration officer. Since I also seem to be the only Filipino guy in the flight, I was asked one too many question. A lot more than what I am used to. I had to explain the Magic Pro Tour to a lady who does not even know what Hasbro is. My itenerary is also a bit complicated as I will be going around America to visit a couple of relatives; insert long explanations here.

Immigration officer: Left finger on the scanner
JT: Which one? (I do have 5 fingers on my left hand)
Immigration officer: THIS ONE! (While raising her index finger)
JT: Ok (and I put my finger on the scanner, there were 2 scanners, and I used the wrong one)
Immigration officer: HERE! (pointing to the other scanner)
(scanning proceded)
Immigration officer: Right finger on the scanner
(I assumed it was still the index finger and placed it there, it was good)
Immigration officer: Left finger on the scanner
JT: Which one?
Immigration officer: YOUR KILLING ME! (She raised her index finger again)
(I thought we were done with that finger, I have 4 others that have yet to be scanned you know)

It seems everyone is cranky early in the morning even in this part of the world.

I proceded to claim my baggage and check in to my next domestic flight to Newark... which would depart in 8 hours at the time of my check in. An 8 hour stopover, so much time... to waste. Or maybe not? I proceeded to purchase a $8.95 24-hour Wifi connection. Watched Lyoto Machida vs Rashad Evans on YouTube, ate breakfast at Burger King (which cost me almost $10), and logged into Magic Online.

I just won my 1st draft in America which is a pretty good way to start. I still have 3 more hours until boarding time. Just enough time for another draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment