Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Drafting with JT: AAC #1

I have been writing articles for a local gaming website (neutralgrounds.net) for quite some time now. Due to some information that I have recently acquired, I decided to go solo on this thing.

1st things first. Give credit where credit is due. Morris Tan (pinoyraredrafter.blogspot.com) taught me how to publish and convert my Magic Online drafts into something that is presentable. If not for him, I would not have started this blog in the 1st place. Thanks man!

Without further ado, here is the very first draft of this series.

2x Shards of Alara, 1x Conflux.
Drafted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at a Magic Online 4-3-2-2 queue.

Pack 1 pick 1:



My Pick:



Feeling quite lazy today. The rare is playable, so I took it. I would have probably picked Skeletonize or Agony Warp on a different day.

Pack 1 pick 2:



My Pick:



One of my favorite uncommons in the format. Probably not the best pick in the pack if you ask others.

Pack 1 pick 3:



My Pick:



So I guess I am going to draft Jund today...

Pack 1 pick 4:



My Pick:



... or Naya...

Pack 1 pick 5:



My Pick:



Yes, Naya it is!

Pack 1 pick 6:



My Pick:



RAAAWWWRRR!

Pack 1 pick 7:



My Pick:



Looking good, and staying with Naya

Pack 1 pick 8:



My Pick:



This card will probably be sitting on the bench, but I will take it just in case...

Pack 1 pick 9:



My Pick:



... and his twin too

Pack 1 pick 10:



My Pick:



Gift of the Gargantuan is playable in my deck, but I never really liked playing that card. RAREDRAFT!

Pack 1 pick 11:



My Pick:



On-color irrelevant pick.

Pack 1 pick 12:



My Pick:



Taking the uncommon

Pack 1 pick 13:



My Pick:



and another uncommon

Pack 1 pick 14:



My Pick:



and another uncommon

Pack 1 pick 15:



My Pick:



Sure.

Pack 2 pick 1:



My Pick:



If I had not seen a Vithian Stinger and a Blister Beetle during the 1st pack, I would take the Manaplasm. This would do for now.

Pack 2 pick 2:



My Pick:



I have 2 white cards so far, and I am in a greedy mood. Don't try this at home.

Pack 2 pick 3:



My Pick:



This is just great. No Naya cards and so I pick up another Jund card.

Pack 2 pick 4:



My Pick:



I think I will be needing this.

Pack 2 pick 5:



My Pick:



and then, the Naya cards decide to show up again.

Pack 2 pick 6:



My Pick:



but Jund tries to convince me otherwise.

Pack 2 pick 7:



My Pick:



5 power, no shard preference, good choice.

Pack 2 pick 8:



My Pick:



Wow, seriously? Pick 8?

Pack 2 pick 9:



My Pick:



I won't be playing this guy, but he is the only playable card in there.

Pack 2 pick 10:



My Pick:



2-drop single color > 2-drop GW in my book.

Pack 2 pick 11:



My Pick:



RAREDRAFT!

Pack 2 pick 12:



My Pick:



Irrelevant pick

Pack 2 pick 13:



My Pick:



This one might actually make the cut

Pack 2 pick 14:



My Pick:



This might come in handy.

Pack 2 pick 15:



My Pick:



I was expecting a land, but ok.

Pack 3 pick 1:



My Pick:



Show me the money

Pack 3 pick 2:



My Pick:



I will be needing this considering the messed up draft I have so far.

Pack 3 pick 3:



My Pick:



I do have 2 Resounding Roars already, and so I might actually get some insane damage in with it.

Pack 3 pick 4:



My Pick:



This choice was a bit hard. I wanted another copy of the double striker, and I do like Ignite Disorder in this format too. I decided to stay on the safe side.

Pack 3 pick 5:



My Pick:



I think I made a mistake here. The pick was good, but I think it is a bit too early for this.

Pack 3 pick 6:



My Pick:



More combat tricks!

Pack 3 pick 7:



My Pick:



Cool bear.

Pack 3 pick 8:



My Pick:



Mediocre, but playable

Pack 3 pick 9:



My Pick:



Hate drafting

Pack 3 pick 10:



My Pick:



At first, I wanted the hatchling, but then I realized that I had nothing to feed it. I took the bear instead.

Pack 3 pick 11:



My Pick:



Another potential filler...

Pack 3 pick 12:



My Pick:



... and another one.

Pack 3 pick 13:



My Pick:



This card would be a little annoying against me, so I took it.

Pack 3 pick 14:



My Pick:



Almost done.

Pack 3 pick 15:



My Pick:



Done.

My final decklist:

5 Forest
5 Mountains
3 Swamps
1 Plains
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Ancient Ziggurat
1 Savage Lands

1 Predator Dragon
1 Drumhunter
1 Blood Cultist
1 Rakeclaw Gargantuan
2 Resounding Roar
1 Bloodpyre Elemental
1 Knight of the Skyward Eye
1 Violent Ultimatum
1 Blightning
1 Wooly Thoctar
1 Carrion Thrash
1 Incurable Ogre
1 Mosstodon
1 Cylian Elf
1 Viashino Slaughtermaster
1 Armillary Sphere
1 Might of Alara
1 Glutonous Slime
1 Canyon Minotaur
1 Nacatl Savage
2 Pestilent Kathari

Round 1 vs 5-color: Win 2-1
Round 2 vs Jund (with Broodmate Dragon, I saw it twice!): Win 2-1
Round 3 vs 5-color: Lose 0-2

No comments:

Post a Comment