Monday, July 27, 2009

Drafting with JT: Nationals Edition, Draft 1

Since this blog focuses more on limited, I shall begin my Nationals aftermath article with my draft decks.

This draft started with a 1st pick Viscera Dragger; a safe pick. I got passed a Wolly Thoctar which I picked up 2nd followed by a Hissing Iguanar on 3. It got really ugly from there as there were no red or green cards that followed. I got a relevant signal in the form of a Sanctum Gargoyle at around pick 7 or so. I made a decision to shift to UW and hoped that it was not too late. At the end of pack 1, my only relevant playable cards for UW were Sanctum Gargoyle, Cloudheath Drake, Resounding Silence, Dawnray Archer, and Sighted-Caste Sorcerer. Viscera Dragger was still on standy in case I need to expand to Esper colors.

I agonized over my 1st pick for the Conflux pack because there was a semi-bomb card in the form of Mirror Sigil Seargent; a card which I do not really like but is incredible in UW decks. The other card I was thinking about was an Esperzoa, which I took because I like fast and consistent decks. The pack did not bring anything spectacular to my deck but upped my UW playable cards from 5 to 12. I needed 11 more from Alara Reborn; which is almost impossible. That means I will probably be splashing a 3rd color.

Unfortunately, Alara Reborn still did not deliver any spectacular cards to my deck. I did get a few which had very good synergy with what I already have like 2 Ethersworn Shieldmages, and 2 Glasstdust Hulks. A Thopter Foundry was also a very welcome addition even though it's power level dropped due to the disappearance of the stack in combat situations.

My final decklist:

Cloudheath Drake
Sanctum Gargoyle
Sighted-Caste Sorcerer
Dawnray Archer
Resounding Silence

2 Gleam of Resistance
Esperzoa
Unsummon
Vedalken Outlander
Esper Cormorants
Cumber Stone
Sludge Strider

2 Ethersworn Shieldmage
2 Glassdust Hulk
Thopter Foundry
Crystallization
Bant Sureblade
Sanctum Plowbeast
Talon Trooper
Deny Reality

Esper Panorama
Rupture Spire
Swamp
7 Island
7 Plains

SB cards that may be useful:
Viscera Dragger
Dispeller's Capsule
Soul Manipulation
Offering to Asha
Guardians of Akrasa
Lapse of Certainty
Brainbite
Voices from the Void

Yes, I did not pick up any rare cards in this draft. Sad.

This deck went on to finish 2-1 losing to Eric Salazar's 5-color deck which hit me with a Martial Coup FTW.

No comments:

Post a Comment